Period of stay
1 May 2017 – 31 Oct 2017
15 Feb 2018 – 30 April 18
20 Dec 2017 – 14 Feb 2018
|1 Bedroom Apartment Mountain View|
|1 Bedroom Apartment Buddha View|
40 – 53sqm
|1 Bedroom Suite Sea View|
45 – 60sqm
|2 Bedroom Apartment Sea View|
70 – 90sqm
|2 Bedroom Suite Sea View|
On receipt of a 30% deposit for the specified apartment type we will send you a written confirmation. The remaining balance of 70% must be paid 45 days before arrival in Phuket for check-in to Oceanic Holiday Co., Ltd. If we do not receive the balance on time Oceanic Holiday Co., Ltd retains the right to cancel the booking and resell the spaces. Minimum daily rental is 3 days. In case of early check out, no refunds will be given. Our policy does not permit sub-letting.
Cancellations can only be acknowledged if received in writing, by fax (+ 66 76 283 447) or by email ( email@example.com). We will not accept cancellations by telephone. Cancellation received 45 Days prior arrival in Phuket for check-in: deposit returned less bank fee. Cancellation received less than 45 Days prior arrival in Phuket for check-in: deposit will not be refunded. Cancellation received less than 30 Days prior to arrival in Phuket for check-in: we charge in full with no refund. If you have any queries on our cancellation policy please feel free contact us. Payments can be made accordingly to Oceanic Holiday Co., Ltd instruction on invoice.
Payment can be wired directly onto our bank account, via PayPal or Credit card. Depending on how you pay, you have to meet any Bank, PayPal and/or Credit Card transaction fees levied.
Check-in/ Check–out Policy
Our service office is open from 7am until 9pm every day. A late check in/ checkout (after 9pm) or an early check in/ checkout (before 7am) will incur an extra charge of 400 THB per apartment. Check out time is usually 12pm; extending your stay beyond this may incur an extra charge of up to half a day.
Every tenant, regardless short or long-term, has to pay a minimum of 20,000 THB deposit (or something equivalent) as guarantee towards the apartment at check in. If a tenant wishes to rent for six months or longer, a minimum of a 2 to 3 month rental deposit is required.
When choosing to stay at one of our luxurious apartments you can be assured of complete privacy allowing you to feel at home throughout your stay. Our staff and reception are available to assist you between the hours of 8am-9pm should you need anything. During your stay you will find each apartment is fully equipped with all necessary amenities .As we operate slightly differently from that of a hotel or a serviced apartment, apartments or bathroom condiments will include cleaning once a week. We are happy to inform guests of local minimarts where such items may be purchased. We also offer a range of fun tours and activities to help you make the most of your holiday and each apartment offers detailed information on what is available on the Island.
If you would like to purchase any additional service, please confirm by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your name, check in date and service requirement. Any extra service cancellations must be received in writing 24 hours prior to the commencement of the service. Failure to inform us in time will result in the service being charged in full.
* The prices shown are per apartment per night and are fully inclusive of electricity, water, cable TV, internet, twice daily shuttle bus to Kata beach, maid service with linen and laundry change. Rates include service *